Monday 10 June 2013

Design and the Patient experience.


Day 1

What a brilliant last week I had at work! So many flowers, cards, hugs, balloons and good wishes. I was truly blessed to feel such warmth from colleagues who I also consider as friends. It was bitter sweet, knowing I must follow my heart but all the while sad at what I had to ‘let go of’ to allow me ‘move on with’.
Monday morning on day 1. The sun is shining and unusually there are clear blue skies over Dublin. I woke this morning with the realisation I am, for the first time in my life ‘Self-employed’.

I could have, as I was tempted to, take a day off, reflect and lay in the sun but that phrase ‘self-employed’ requires a new mind-set and focus of energy so I was up and at it at a respectable time.
Today I’ve largely employed myself with preparing for a session I’m running later in the week, getting to grips with a new laptop and continuing to set up as a Ltd company. There really is so much red tape to setting it up and it seems that much relies on a few key documents navigating safely between Accountants, Solicitors, Banks and various other bodies. There’s a whole new lexicon very specific to each and it feels like I’m trying to learn an alien language.
Read on for some Innovation Pond Stimulus

Designing to enhance the Patient experience.

IV Decals by Little Love Medical Help Brighten Up Treatment Rooms


I stumbled across this lovely company who came up with a simple and creative way to brighten up IV bags – Why would you do that?

Well here’s why – In a study carried out in a Department of internal Medicine in the US the measurable impact of using these ‘Stress-reducing IV bags’ significantly reduced:
aversion by 83%, fear by 53%, & anxiety by 73% [in patients]"
Department of Internal, Medicine, University of New Mexico Health Sciences Center, Albuquerque

They understood that spending time in the hospital is difficult for patients, family and friends. Little Love Medical is there to make the stay as pleasant as possible by adding bursts of colour and design to everyday hospital products. It’s as simple as that and like all good ideas leaves you thinking ‘Why didn’t we think of that before’.


Following the same theme let me introduce you to Dude. http://www.behance.net/gallery/CHRU-Support-for-Hospitalized-Children/6114385

Co designed with children, the medical team and designers, Dude was developed to support hospitalised children suffering from Chronic Renal Disease. They based this off of a few key insights

Hospitals are scary places for people of all ages, especially children. The development of the CHRU DOUD was was intended as a solution to alleviate the anxiety of young patients as they undergo testing and search for distractions and entertainment during long days cooped up in clinical wards. Dude is basically a ‘smart companion’

The DOUD can be connected to medical equipment like hemodialysis machines and can serve as a timer so that its child companion can get an idea about when his treatment will be complete. The illuminating blue belly of the CHRU DOUD is its simple digital display that can flash as an alert for taking drugs. Lastly, but not least significantly, the durable silicone plaything is an anti-stress companion that features in delightfully diverting computer games

 

No comments:

Post a Comment